Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reasons to Celebrate

What better way to celebrate the Lahore Resolution of 1940 than our team reaching the semis of the Cricket World Cup. It was a great match and the team did us so proud. Other than that, the love of my life isn't giving me many reasons to celebrate these days. Pardon my pessimism but I can't really be happy when my country's civilians and soldiers die everyday fighting America's war at our northwestern border or when dozens are gunned down as political parties battle it out in my city.

The Pakistan I grew up in celebrated Pakistan Day with an impressive military parade at Constitution Avenue. And those of us who didn't live in the capital would wake up early morning to watch it on t.v. Thanks to the volatile law and order situation, we’ve been skipping the display of our military might for the past few years. Cricket meant walking to National Stadium in our green and white shalwar kameezes to watch our heroes in front of our eyes. And although it's great that the country can come together to celebrate the team's awesome performances on foreign soils, it's been years since Pakistan's cricket stadiums echoed with screams of "Jeetayga bhayee jeetayga, Pakistan jeetayga!" I grew up playing badminton on the streets with the boys, riding my bike in shorts. The scars on my knees are proof of the bruises that Karachi's roads gave me. Getting front seats to a Junoon concert was the biggest achievement. Sonu Nigam and Bryan Adams would perform to a sold-out crowd. Eight people would cram in one car to go have ice-cream in Bahadurabad. There was no moral brigade issuing fatwas every other day.

I wonder when, on March 23rd 1940, the Muslims of India proclaimed to the world their determination to make the Muslim Statehood the goal of their struggle, they had this Pakistan in mind. Needless to say, the present circumstances do not lessen my love for this amazing country. Where, when I visit after two years, the aunty on my street is going to cook me my favorite food and send it over. Where the neighborhood fruit vendor will say salam and ask about everyone. Where the press is free and vibrant - a very rare occurrence for an Islamic State. Where we can end Australia's unbeaten 34-match World Cup run.

I have no doubt the days of a packed National Stadium, concerts, and the parade on March 23rd will return. Happy Pakistan Day everyone!





11 comments:

  1. ... aah that made me miss pakistaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan like frickin 10000 *infinity.. Proud to be a Pakiiii <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the Pakistan I lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of the Pakistan I left behind, way back when everything was just so simple. Walking to the "dukan" without any fear or playing "kho kho" out in the streets. I wish it was all still the same....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mera Pakistan sab sai aagai....InshaAllah :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pakistan's WC performance is indeed a reason to celebrate in the midst of this sad state of affairs. though, the game is yet to come - Mohali Massacre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its about time that we should ask not what our country can do for us but ask what we can do for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eman..first time reading your blog..u write good..didnt knew this side of you...an yes i rememba goin to bryan adam and son nigham concerts..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to know all of us know the real Pakistan. We will bring it back, Inshallah.

    ReplyDelete