Friday, November 25, 2011

Addicted to Reality

"This is what is wrong with our country."

"It's all scripted anyway."

"People who watch this crap have no lives of their own."

Yes, everyone loves to hate reality t.v. Yet, people can't stop clicking on the stories to get the latest scoop on their favorite Housewives. I'll watch the History Channel, I'll watch the news, but reality shows are my guilty pleasure. It's OK. We all have those. Some of us openly embrace our love for reality t.v., while others hope our friends or family never see our DVR schedules.

Topping my list of guilty pleasures have to be the Kardashians. I know, I know. Everyone likes to say they don't understand why the family is famous, etc etc. But whatever they are, I give them credit for being highly entertaining. Also, for having some level of skill and talent that will surely not let you turn the damn show off. It's addicting. I got sucked into the whole phenomenon. I found myself watching episode after episode, surprised, horrified, and entertained all the same time. Crying over diamond earrings, shoving money into waiters' mouths, changing dresses multiple times at the wedding, getting your butt x-rayed - problems of the rich and famous, right? But throw in some issues that most people can relate to, like the dad's struggle to connect with his teenage daughters or the guy's attempt to make the girl's family like him, and it all kinds of become close to your life.

So, reality t.v.may be over the top, dumbed down and at times straight up offensive, but it’s one fun guilty pleasure. I couldn't get past the first 15 seconds of Jersey Shore, but I love me some Real Housewives and the Kardashian clan. What's better than Kim K's two-day four-hour nuptial palooza? The upcoming season of Kourtney and Kim take New York where we get to see what went wrong with the marriage. CAN'T WAIT!!




No comments:

Post a Comment